Buttoning up with Bobby Orr.

This weeks Orr collectibles are ones that I have been meaning to feature for a long time, but I’ve always passed them over for one reason or another.

That doesn’t mean that they’re not interesting, but some other item(s) always just seemed to grab my attention a little more. That changes right now.

This week features one of the oldest forms of collectibles (or promotion). Withought further ado, let’s look at some Bobby Orr pins (or buttons as they also could be called).

44_1_b1

First up is a set of four Bruins pins from the early 70’s. Orr is featured at the top left under the name Bob “Four Speed” Orr. “Bob” just sounds wrong. It should always be “Bobby”. “Four Speed” also seems forced. Bobby never really had a nickname that stuck, but all the buttons incorporated nicknames so I guess they had to come up with something. Besides Bucyk, Cheevers and McKenzie, pins were also made for Phil Esposito and Derek Sanderson.

img061-crop

Here we have a standard pin on top showing Bobby skating and a more unique pin on the bottom with a slogan that every Bruins fan in the 70’s was saying.

img065-crop

Up next are these two very similar buttons. I’m not really sure why they didn’t just stick with one of the designs, but I think the bottom button displays better mainly because of the “Boston Bruins” under Orr’s head.

img068

Sticking with the theme of similar pins, these are two that advertize Orr’s annual skate-a-thon for charity. Besides being sponsored by two different companies, Orr wears his hair differently on each of the pins. Judging by his appearance, I would say these pins are from sometime in the mid to late 80’s.

Here are some more charitable buttons.

img063-crop

Finally, the last pin I’ll show you is rather tough to find.

img069-crop

This was put out by The Lions Club. Apparently they make pins for everything and sell and trade them. This is from a “Salute to the Hockey Stars” series they put out. Not sure what year it is, but I think I got it around 10 years ago. It’s a great looking pin except they have Orr as a right handed shot rather than left handed.

Thanks for checking out my Orr pin collection. Come back next week for more of Bobby Orr.

15 Responses to “Buttoning up with Bobby Orr.”

Orr’s hair is amazing on those 80’s buttons, ever consider sporting a similar coif?

Also, how come McKenzie has the nickname ‘pie’ I thought you told me it was ‘pie face’?

I don’t think I could get my hair like that anymore unfortunately. They just shortened it to “pie” from “pie face”. I think just saying “pie” sounds better.

Cool, but I’m surprised there weren’t more kooky buttons to be had.

Actually Goog there are more Orr buttons out there, but surprisingly I don’t see them as much as I would like to.

5. Deadbeat says:

How about some comic stuff, maybe in a non “Orr” post?

You want it you got it. Look for something at the end of the week.

7. Bobby says:

Hi Gary,
    What are the values of the pins above, always nice to know what range of price to pay for these if you ever come across them

Hey Bobby,
    At one time or another I’ve seen all these pins on Ebay. Opening bids are anywhere between $10 – $100. A wide range I know. In my opinion, the toughest one is the Lions club pin which I would value between $75 – $100. In Orr We Trust is not that common so I would say $30 – $50. The others I would put around $20 – $25. Hope you find the ones you are looking for!

9. Bobby says:

Thanks for the info Gary, very interesting stuff, although I am very surprised that there aren’t more Orr pins, just with is popularity and all.

I’m surprised by that to Bobby, although I’ve seen on Ebay from time to time a number of what look like newer homemade pins that people made up to sell.

11. Bobby says:

Yes Gary, you have to look at the backs of the pins, they will be shinny and new, I bought some WHA a year ago, got them and you can tell they were newly done, so always look at the back, it will look old if it is old.

There is an unopened Bobby Orr one on ebay right now of the second one from the top, cool, never see them unopened. I am a sucker for unopened stuff but at that price, I don’t think so….although I would think it would sell for half of that tho!?

I saw the unopened pin on Ebay. Definitely too much money. Half that price seems about right.

13. Ray says:

The blue buttons from the 70’s- does anyone know where I can find the Derek Sanderson one?

Hi Ray. They usually pop up on Ebay once in awhile. If not, try calling Sportsworld in Peabody, Mass. There number is 781-233-7222. They might have one.

15. Frameworth says:

Come meet Bobby Orr in-person! The Sport Card & Memorabilia Expo is May 4-6th and Bobby will be making a public autograph appearance. Tickets are on sale now. https://ssl.frameworth.com/bobby-orr-public-signing-expo