Sticking with Bobby Orr

Usually when I pick an Orr item from my collection to write about I just look around and see what catches my eye. This week however I got a special request from someone who has seen my collection. So this post is for Pat M.

When I began to seriously start collecting Bobby Orr and Bruins memorabilia in general around 15 years ago, one of the things I most wanted was a game used item of Orr’s, specifically a  jersey. I quickly realized that I would probably have to spend somewhere around $100,000 to get one. Realizing that unless I won the lottery that probably wouldn’t happen, I set my sights a little lower.

Much more affordable and obtainable was a game used stick. It still took me about 10 years to get not one, but two of his sticks. In the meantime, I decided to start a collection of game used sticks by members of the Bruins Stanley Cup teams in 1970 and 1972.  This weeks post will feature not only the Orr sticks in my collection, but some of the others I have, as well how I display them.

Before I get to the Orr sticks let’s take a look at a few others.

DSCI0038

First up is a stick used by goalie Gerry Cheevers sometime in the late 70’s. It shows great game use on the blade, where the tape has been torn off. I got him to autograph for me a few years back.

Some of you may be asking how I know it is his stick. Well, I know this because all sticks are stamped with the players last name and number on it. The Cheevers stick is very faint so I didn’t bother to take a picture of it. Look at the next set of sticks though.

DSCI0035

From left to right we have Derek Sanderson, Phil Esposito and Ken Hodge sticks. The Sanderson stick is from his rookie year in 1967. Espo’s is from the early 70’s and Hodge from around ‘73 or ‘74.

DSCI0037

You can clearly see the name stamp and number of each player in this photo (except for Espo, which is again very faint, but it’s there). Sanderson’s name is stamped in the middle of the stick while his number 16 is on top.

One of the things I love about these old sticks is how each player would curve the blade.

DSCI0036

Hockey rules today restrict how much a blade can be curved. As you can see, no such restrictions were in place back in the 60’s and 70’s.

Now for Bobby’s sticks.

100_0592

Orr used Northland sticks for the first few years of his career before switching to Victoriaville. Judging by the lettering of the sticks, they look to be from 1972 to 1975. The top sticks blade is cracked and their appears to have been tape on the blade at some point. Orr usually played with either one single strip of tape or none at all.

100_0591

Orr always taped the handle of his sticks the same way. Other players would have a big knob of tape at the top of the stick but Bobby’s was always skinny. In case you were wondering, as far as I know there is no significance to one of the stamps being red and the other black.

The Orr sticks are by far the most valuable of all of them. A complete game used Orr stick will cost you a minimum of $1000. His early Northland sticks go for much more.

Besides these sticks, I have about 25 others, which include most of the key members of the 70 and 72 Stanley Cup Champions, as well as some later 70’s Bruins such as Gilles Gilbert, Brad Park, Bobby Schmautz and Jean Ratelle.

The last thing I want to show you is how I display the sticks.

DSCI0030

My incredibly talented friend Bob made this for me. The two sides are made of wood and shaped like the Stanley Cup. They are attached by a hockey stick with hollowed out pucks that act as a buffer between the sticks. It’s also on wheels so that it is easy to move. It’s simply a thing of beauty.

DSCI0034

Here’s a better shot of it. I had 2 plaques made up for each side. One list the members of the 70 team and the other the 72 team.  Making this rack took a lot of time, energy and patience, so a big thank you goes out to Bob for designing it and giving me a way to display all my sticks.

Hope you all enjoyed this weeks look at some games used items. Be sure to check back in next week for more of Orr.

41 Responses to “Sticking with Bobby Orr”

The rack is a thing of beauty, I don’t think I had seen the plaques. Nice touch.

The sticks are cool that’s for sure

The rack is amazing. Bob did an unbelievable job on it. I thought that by adding the plaques it made it more like the Cup itself. Also, I have sticks by most of the players listed on each.

People seem to enjoy looking at them. And they have an advantage of being actuallyl used by the players rather than just some random marketed piece of memorabilia.

5. the other sasquatch says:

the Express Hockey team would like to use the sticks for a game – as a tribute to old time hockey – we’ll pick them up this thursday night – thanks

6. Mark's D Partner says:

Nice post. Are you sure you don’t want some game used sticks from when the Express won the NESHL championship?

Uhm… No.

When I get a second stick rack built I’ll be by to collect them. They need there own special rack.

9. the other sasquatch says:

you should hurry up with the new stick rack – Express sticks are the gold standard for collectors, fans coming up to us all the time – however the staff of righteousness is planning on being used for a long long time – but since you are the person who actually bought it, it will eventually be returned to you for your museum

10. Trev says:

I know this post is old, but can you post a pic of the curve Orr put into his stick (or did he leave it flat?)

I will take some pics as soon as I can and send them to you.

12. Matt says:

Gary – Great collection. I am a big Orr fan, having grown up watching him in the Garden and then caddying for him a few times after he retired.

I picked up a 1976-era Victoriaville Vic that seems to precisely match the model he used in the 1976 canada cup, yet has some of the white bulldog tape removed. I have been looking for an Orr collector to take a look at it and comment. I would be happy to email a shot if you migth have any insight.

I have a large collection of game used baseball bats, but have recently moved to game used sticks (another project is a gorgeous 60’s Victoriaville Bobby Hull banana blade that I am trying to match with no luck – mostly a Northland guy).

Matt Miller

Thanks for reading Matt!. I’ll send you an email and you can send me a pic of the stick. I’ll take a look at it and see if I can help.

14. Bill Sullivan says:

I have a Bobby Orr game used Northland hockey stick. I’m interested in selling it. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Hi Bill, thanks for the question. I can think of a few ways to sell the stick. Ebay, Memorabilia store, take it to a sports card show and offer it there. Ebay would probably get you the most money. Good luck and thanks again for the comment.

16. Ace says:

Looking for game used and signed bobby Orr hockey stick. Can you tell me value of a nice one and if you know of any available? Would appreciate your input. Thank you–

Hi Ace,
    A good Orr game used stick will cost you a minimum of $1000, probably closer to $1500 to $2000. Victoriaville, which he used from 1970 on, is the most common stick you’ll find. Earlier Northlands will cost you even more. Don’t know of any available, but try giving a call to Sportworld in Saugus, Mass. They might be able to track one down for you.

18. Bill Sullivan says:

I have a Bobby Orr game used stick. It’s a Northland custom pro, and has a Woody Dumart and Co. Needham Heights, Mass. stamp on it. I’m interested in selling it. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi Bill,

I would suggest either listing it on Ebay or Craiglist, or bringing it to a sports memorabilia store and see what they will offer you for it. Good luck.

20. greg walker says:

I’d be interested in buying a Orr game used stick. Email me, anybody, if you are interested in selling one. Thanks

21. greg walker says:

My email is
    biggamebird@yahoo.com
    if you want to sell a game used Bobby Orr stick.
    Thanks.

22. peter says:

I have a 1973 Gilles Gilbert stick from the Pittsburgh game on Dec 20th, and was wounder how much its worth?

my email
    Pack4625@msn.com

Hi Peter. A Gilbert stick would be around $150 – $300.

24. tracy says:

I have some equipment from the Bobby Orr. Gloves elbow and shine pads. Wonder what they are worth and where I could sell them.

25. Tim says:

Hi Gary,
    I came across you website while searching for Bobby Orr memorabilia. You have quite a collection including our other great stars from that era. All those names brought back fond memories of the Big Bad Bruins.
    I have a stick that I would appreciate your opinion on. I got this probably around 1967 or 1968. My older cousin, who was a hockey fan at that time, got it signed at a game as a birthday present from my folks. I can’t say whether he brought it to the garden of if it was a “stick night” affair. It is a NORTHLAND CRACKSHOT , has the stamping “MADE BY NORTHLAND SKI MFG. CO. ST. PAUL MINN. U.S.A.” and is signed by Bobby Orr and John Bucyk. I would like to sell it since it just sits in a closet, I feel belongs to collector. Do you have an idea of it’s worth, and the best approach to selling it, private sale, dealer, etc.
    Thanks
    Tim

Hi Tracy. I’m assuming they are from his line of Rally equipment. Your best bet is Ebay. There’s a few items listed right now, but in my opinion they are priced too high. If they are still in the original packaging it is more desirable.

27. JM says:

Hello,

My grandmother left me the actual stick Derek Sanderson used to make the pass to Bobby Orr that scored “The Goal” against the St Louis Blues to win the Stanley Cup in 1970.

She bought it in a channel 2 PBS auction for $2,000 back in 1972.

In 1995 there was a golf tournament held at my local club to celebrate the 25th reunion of the 1970 Stanley Cup victory. I went there with the stick and in person the stick was signed by the majority of the team, including Derek and Bobby Orr.

Anybody have any thoughts as to how much this might be worth?

Thanks,
    JM

Hi JM. A signed stick by the entire team would be worth $750 – $1000. It would be worth at least double if not more if that is actually Sanderson’s stick from that game. The problem is you’d have to get it authenticated that the stick was in fact from that game and play. Any potential buyer will want to see proof that that is the stick.

29. JM says:

Thanks Gary. I do have authentication.

That’s fantastic. You have a great piece of Bruins history.

31. Mark says:

Hi

I have a 1976 Canada Cup Phil Esposito game used stick and one of Bobby Hull for the same tournament.

Im willing to sell the two. If someone has interest, just say it and give your email ill contact you.

32. Laurie Pritchard says:

Hi Gary

I have a Victoriaville Bob Orr 1974/75 game stick autographed by Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, Johnny Bucyk, Gregg Sheppard, Carol Vadnais, Don Marcotte, Bobby Schmautz, Andre Savard, Terry O’Reilly, Wayne Cashman, Dave Forbes, Dallas Smith, Al Sims, Darryl Edestrand, Walt McKechnie, Rod Graham, Gilles Gilbert, Craig Sarner, Ken Broderick, Gary Doak and Don Cherry. I was given this stick by Walt McKechnie because at that time, he was our next door neighbour. Can you please give me an estimation of it’s value.

Thank you so much!

Hi Laurie. A Bobby Orr games used stick sells for anywhere between $750 – $1500. With the autographs I’d add a few hundred dollars to the price. If the stick is game issued but not used, then it cuts the value in half.

34. I was one of the biggest hockey collectors at the card shows ,I havnt looked at my stuff in years ,do you sell or trade, 5089380304 steve I like to the the sticks in cases myself.

Hi Steve. Sorry but I don’t sell or trade. I just collect.

36. Brian says:

Awesome collection Gary,

Can you comment on this offering from sportsmemorabilia.com? http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/sports-products/bobby-orr-autographed-his-model-hockey-stick.html

My wife bought this from them and they told her it was game used … I have it and can send pictures, but the image in the link is pretty spot on. There is no tape on the blade or shaft, but I do see signs of usage. I’ve just never seen any pictures of him using the Victoriaville “Action” stick. Curious if you think we got ripped off and should try to return it?

Thanks!

Hi Brian,

This is not a game used stick In the description it never says anything about game used. His autograph is authentic, but that’s about it. That’s one of the newer replica sticks that he autographs. Way overpriced in my opinion.

38. Peter says:

I just picked up a Koho 221 that Orr used in one of his 20 games in Chicago in 1976-77. His Victoriavilles had not been delivered so he used one of Dale Tallon’s sticks and it has Orr written at the top and his pattened tape job as only Orr did. It was given to the Chicago Trainer after a Hawks game.

39. Hillary says:

Hi how can I get in touch with you to send you pics of a bobby Orr stick??

40. Uncle C says:

Gary:
    Nice collection! I picked up a Orr “game used” or “practice” stick signed by Orr and John “Pie” McKenzie. With correct butt end tape job. It has printed on it Special Order Model and Fiberglass patented 1960#591454. Black white yellow banding. Earlier 70’s Victoriaville lettering. Any idea what year this stick would be from? Also collect original color slides and have several magazine front page cover quality slides of Bobby Orr and Derek Sanderson. Fun stuff! Thanks Gary!

41. Hey, great collection! I’ve been looking for weeks on trying to figure out how Orr taped the knob of his stick. I have tried different things but can’t figure out how he did it, if anyone could let me know that would be great, thanks!