Bobby in Bronze

Last week was the 40th anniversary of the Bruins 1970 Stanley Cup win. On Monday outside of the TD Bank Garden, the team unveiled a bronze statue of Bobby Orr and “The Goal”.  If you haven’t already seen it, here is a picture from that ceremony of Bobby and the statue.

Orr Bronze

Orr’s statue joins other Boston sports legends who have already been immortalized in bronze such as Ted Williams and Red Auerbach. However, this isn’t the first time that Bobby Orr had been depicted in bronze.

This week’s post is about another Orr statue that is considerably smaller but still as impressive as the above one.

IMG_0992

This is a bronze sculpture of Orr made by artist Rick Monrotus. Released in 1994, only 444 were produced. Mine is number 42.

Here are a few more pics.

IMG_0995

IMG_0993

You can clearly see the number 4 on the back of the jersey, but the spoked “B” is not visible on the front.

Another interesting fact I was able to find out was that apparently the mold used to cast the sculpture was damaged at some point. This mainly affected the positioning of the stick, so some sticks look different.

The artists choice of pose for Orr is interesting. Judging by his crouching stance with his stick on his knees, Bobby looks like he’s waiting for a face off. In fact, the pose looks alot like this 1970 Sports Illustrated poster of him.

IMG_0994

Close to a perfect match.

Getting back to the sculpture, I won it on Ebay about 4 years ago for about $250. Like alot of the Orr items that I have written about, I haven’t seen it since. The Ebay listing at the time said that they were only sold at the Hockey Hall of Fame. I haven’t been able to confirm this, but I’m working on it.

More Orr collectibles next week, and if you happen to be near the Garden, be sure to check out the statue.

12 Responses to “Bobby in Bronze”

That’s a pretty cool statue, but I find it odd that they show the stick bending over his legs, but I suppose that might have something to do with the mold being damaged as you mentioned. Also, 42, good number.

I think that you’re right that the bending stick is a problem with the mold. I like 42. At least I have the 4 in there.

When I saw you mention #42 I thought your intial reaction would be to hunt down either #4 or even #44. So close though. Sweet piece

… plus, how big is your statue? It is hard to get a sense of the size. Must weigh quite a bit though

Good question. I should have mentioned that. It’s a foot tall and weighs somewhere between 10 and 20 pounds.

6. When I created “Orr” I researched everything,as I did with the greatest goaltender of all time(in my mind) Mr.”Goalie” Glenn Henry Hall,a 2ft bronze that I presented to Him at centre ice at the St. Louis Arena in 1980.The only reason for His one strip of tape on His blade was He thought it was manditory!I met Mr. Orr and to me,He is a wonderfully “Genuine” human being! In Orr’s faceoff stance He sometimes would bend His stick so severe!..so NO! it’s not the mold! He really did bend His stick in a big cresent!My Brother and I would look at His stance and always state “damn,those sticks have some incredible flex!!! There were NOT 444 statues made!If there were,they are illegal! At the time I was with a 3 partner company,my partner here was very,very suspect! He ruined connections with Mr. Bobby Orr,Mr. Robert Redford,Mr. John Candy,Mr. Wayne Gretzky and several others! In ‘94 I had legal disconnection with this suspect company,so if there exists more statues past edt.10,they are fake and illegal! My nephew owns the master,it’s polyester resin & bronze dust at a weight of 3 and3/4 lbs and 10 1/4in high.His stick(in order to provide the nessesary bend)was pewter.Mr. Orr’s signature was also pewter.I was there!!!! With all of my many works,I research EVERYTHING! I will not create it if it is not clear and concise within my mind.And YES there was The B on His sweater!!!..So if there is none then you own a fraud!

7. Jim Nolan says:

I also have the Orr statue. In 1992 at the Toronto expo they were selling for 1200.00 2 dealers had them for sale and I was told then they sold them through the HOF, not by one dealer but by many and they also said they sold out soon after they went on sale. I have number 121 of 444 which I bought from a private collector. I also have the same statue without a number of 444 which I bought on ebay 5 years ago.

Thanks for the info Jim! Always nice to hear from another hardcore Orr collector, especially someone like yourself who has an amazing Orr collection and a ton of knowledge.

9. nick malina says:

I have #8 and my son’s old coach has #7, we paid $444 to the company that casted them. I stumbled upon tat the sports show back then in Chicago and pre ordered.

Very cool Nick. You don’t see them too often.

11. Kevin Kirley says:

Hi, Rick
    I recently purchase at auction one of your artistist’s proofs (#5) for the goalie making a save. Curious as to where the goalie stick is supposed to be attached to the piece (if at all). Would love to own the actual bronze but I can’t find any information on where to buy one. Hope you get this.