The Goal.

May 10, 1970. One of the greatest days in Boston Bruins history. Why? For the first time in 29 years, the Bruins won the Stanley Cup. They swept the St. Louis Blues in 4 games with the last game going into sudden death overtime. Forty seconds into that overtime, Bobby Orr took a pass from Derek Sanderson and scored. While his momentum was going forward, a St. Louis defensemen named Noel Picard tripped him and Orr went flying through the air, in a horizontal position with arms out and stick raised.  The sequence is simply known as “The Goal” and is perhaps the greatest hockey photo ever taken.

Forty years later, a bronze statue will be unveiled outside the TD Bank Garden to commemorate the moment. In today’s post, I will feature some items featuring “The Goal” as well as some Bruins team items that celebrate winning the Cup.

Up first is the famous picture.

IMG_0986

This poster was offered by the Boston Record-American. Taken by staff photographer Ray Lussier, it is the defining picture of Bobby Orr and had been reprinted thousands of times.

Next is something more current.

IMG_0982

This is a tapestry throw rug made by The Northwest company. It measures 48″ x 60″ and just came out this year. It can be found on Ebay for about $30.

Sticking with more recent items, there’s this commemorative puck, which can be found on Ebay for about $10.

Orr puck

From McFarlane Toys are these figures.

IMG_0990

IMG_0989

The first two measure about 8 inches. The one on the left is the regular color version while the right one is a variant done in black and white. The second picture is a deluxe 12 inch version that was only offered in Canada. It can be found on Ebay for between $20 – $30.

Newpapers are also very collectible.

IMG_0988

This is a centerfold from the Record-American the day after the Bruins won the cup. As you can see it shows the sequence of the goal and the aftermath. The full newspaper from that day is loaded with more pictures and articles. In decent shape, it will cost you between $35 – $50.

Now for some team memorabilia.

IMG_0983

This pair of team buttons could have been bought in the Bruins Pro Shop.  Selling for $1.29 back in 1970, I’ve seen them sell anywhere between $10 – $50.

IMG_0984

Also selling in the Pro Shop, this mini stick will sell in the same range as the buttons.

IMG_0991

Even more Pro Shop items are this ashtray and patch. The patch is tougher to track down, but both will set you back between $25 – $75 each.

The last item is one of my favorites in my collection.

IMG_0987

This is a poster of the ‘69-’70 Bruins with the Stanley Cup. It’s taken me 10 years (I got the last signature two months ago), but I have it autographed by almost everyone in the photo. All of the players have signed (except for Bill Speer and Ace Bailey who both died before I could get their signatures. For them I bought something else they they had autographed, cut around their name and taped it to the poster). Of the three I’m missing (The owner, his son and a trainer) two are dead and the other just doesn’t do autograph shows although he has repeatedly been asked. I’m not too concerened about those three and feel that the poster is as complete as it ever will be.

So there you have it, the 1970 Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins and “The Goal”. If any of you have memories of the team and that season, please leave a comment with what you remember.

I’ll leave you with a video of “The Goal”. Enjoy!

13 Responses to “The Goal.”

Sweet poster. I’ll give you $10 for it

As tempting as that sounds, I’ll have to respectively decline. Add a few zeroes on the end however and then we’ll talk.

Man, the scope of your collection is beginning to come into focus for me. I know you have said you have tons more that is not out on display but seeing the odds and ends in this post I realized how much merchandise must have been produced. Then you add in all the years they won things while Orr was on the team and…well, wow.

Sometimes it’s overwhelming. I know there are items out there that I don’t have, but I thought I knew what they all were. Every once in awhile though I will see something I never new existed and I add it to the list.

5. Matt says:

Another great post Gary. I’m not surprised to see so much stuff remembering the goal, but I am surprised to see the different types. What did you think of the statue they unveiled?

Thanks Matt! I love the statue. It’s about time they did something like that. Looking forward to seeing it next week.

7. dave says:

Gary, I have the same poster at the top of this page. I know it’s vintage and rarely seen out there, and I have it framed as well. I now have to find a way to Orr to sign it !
    Any idea what this poster is worth?

Thanks for the comment Dave. One recently sold on Ebay for $90. I think that’s a pretty fair price for it. As far as getting Orr to sign it, probably the only way would be to send it in to his company and pay for his signature.

9. Mark says:

Where can I purchase a print of the goal poster with the gold lettering in the title. This was the poster Shawmut Bank gave out in the 70s.

Thanks,

Hi Mark. Your best bet is it look on Ebay. I’ve seen a few come up on their every once in awhile.

11. Jeff says:

Cool stuff. The third string goalie in the team pic that looks like it is missing a signature is my father, let me know if you want any help co-ordinatung the signature.

12. Loretta says:

Hi – I just found the Boston Record American dive poster in a house that I am having an estate sale for. I cannot find any picture of it except for yours. Can you tell me what it might be worth or what is reasonable to sell it for? I also found an original Bobby Orr poster from Melrose Printing. Hopefully, you can help me. Thank you.

Best bet is to see what they’re selling for on Ebay.