Bobby Orr Sings!

No, not really. But if he did put out an album, I would buy it, even if it was rap. My Orr collecting knows no boundaries.

There were records about Bobby Orr made in the 70’s however, and I want to share a few of them now.

Orr Record3

“The Two Sides of Bobby Orr” was an instructional record released in 1970, soon after the Bruins won the Stanley Cup. Orr is interviewed by Don Earle, who was at the time the TV voice of the Bruins. They basically talk about Orr’s style of play and what he does in certain situations on the ice. It’s sort of a companion piece to Bobby’s book “Orr on Ice” which is also of the instructional variety. That book as well as others will be featured at a later date. The record is pretty common and can usually be found between $10 – $20.

Now for something a little tougher to find.

100_0788

This is from the “Sports Challenge Instant Replay” toy, which was released by Mattel in 1973. It’s a pre-recorded disc that talks about Orr and his career. They made these for athletes in all kinds of sports. The artwork is on both sides of the disc, with the front being a headshot and the back an action shot as you’ll see.

100_0789

The discs are small and they are played with this:

Instant Replay Disc

The Orr disc is one of the more expensive ones and will usually run you $50 - $100.

Next up is an item that is super rare.

Orr Record2

This is a record from Canada featuring famous Canadians. Released in 1967, it gives you background on each person and you’re supposed to figure out the link between them. As I said, very rare and very expensive. There’s one listed on Ebay right now. Click here

Finally, we have not one, but two songs written about Bobby Orr.

100_0790

Side A features a song called “Wonderous Bobby Orr” and side B is “That Boston Dandy”. What’s interesting is that they are both sung by A.J. Thicke, better known as Alan Thicke, better still known as Dr. Jason Seaver, the father on “Growing Pains”. Somewhat difficult to find, a copy of this 45 goes for $25 – $50.

If you’re on the hunt for any of these records good luck and be sure you have a turntable to play them on.

12 Responses to “Bobby Orr Sings!”

1. Matt says:

I dunno if Orr would appreciate a song written about him called “The Boston Dandy” Just doesn’t seem fitting.

No it doesn’t, but I can’t think of any novelty song about an athlete that’s any good. He might even be amused by it.

There’s something familiar about that tiny record player although I have no idea why. I sure as hell never owned one…maybe an older cousin had one *shrugs* It’s pretty neat though. I love seeing all this unusual memorabilia, keep it coming!

Thanks The Goog! Look for a special comics blog either this Wednesday or next.

5. Wayne says:

Gary, any chance you could do me a huge favor. Could you get that record both songs put on a cassette or Cd and send it to me somehow. I have a friend who is looking for a couple of unique songs for a project and I think it would be neat if I could surprise him with this. I have the record somewhere but not sure.

Thanks a lot

Wayne

6. Kliph says:

i have the first and last. That Boston Dandy is moog heavy and is pretty goddamn good. Both sides of the Alan Thicke 45 is good. The Bobby Orr LP has a good first 30 seconds and a good last 30 seconds.

Thanks for the review and for reading!

8. Darcy says:

Hi! I have an earlier version of the 7″ on “Hockey Records” out of Toronto, which I think I found at a Salvation Army like 6-8 years ago.
    You can see it on the RYM discography site where I uploaded the info & picture, here: http://rateyourmusic.com/release/single/alan_thicke/wondrous_bobby_orr___that_boston_dandy__as_a_j__thicke_/

Just click on the image and then on View Larger image on the following page.
    Obscure stuff!

Hi Darcy and thanks for the link! I’m jealous that you have that version. Very nice find!

10. terry says:

Seen him play when I was young Although I,m a Canadian fan I will always be a fan of Orr I’ve no choice I’m a shwa boy (Oshawa boy) .

11. Earl Lince says:

Hi:

I have this 45 and I had the pleasure to meet Bobby Orr one evening and he signed it. Have always wanted Alan Thicke to sign it as well.
    Not sure of the value these days.
    Might just donate to Bobby Orr Museum in Parry Sound
    Duke

12. Don Lupton says:

I have an advertising poster with a b&w glossy picture of Bobby Orr announcing the release of “that Boston Dandy” by RCA