Orr in Action (Figure)

First things first: They’re action figures, not dolls. Ok, now that we got that out of the way, let’s talk Bobby Orr figures.

The preeminent sports action figure maker today is McFarlane Toys, of which eight Orr figures have been produced since 2006. I’ll talk about the McFarlane figures in a later post. For now I want to focus on the older and larger in scale Orr’s out there.

We’re going to work our way backwards starting in 1998.

Orr98

This is a 12 inch Orr Starting Lineup figure from 1998. Starting Lineup was the first company to produce widespread sports figures. They ruled the marketplace from 1988 until 2001 when McFarlane took over.

As far as this Orr figure goes, the uniform and stick are nicely done, but the head leaves much to be desired. It looks like they were going for Orr in his younger years, but what’s up with the ears?

Orr97

Here we have the 1997 version. Instead of a clear window box, they went with a picture of Bobby on the front that opens up into this:

Orr97(2)

The uniform still looks good and they did a much better job on the head sculpt. Overall the packaging is much nicer as they added some notes about his career to the box which helps make it a better display piece.

These two figures can usually be found on Ebay anywhere from $20-$40.

If you want something a little older and looks nothing like Orr, then take a look at this.

orrdoll75

This is the Bobby Orr Regal figure released in Canada in 1975. Nice packaging, but not a good likeness. It looks more like a Ken figure to me.

This actually came in two different versions.

165925n_20

This was the first one released and as you can see the head sculpt on him is even worse.

You could also purchase different outfits so that you could dress Bobby up for different occasions.

Orrregalback

As you can see, you had some of the following outfits to choose from: Tennis, Karate, Scuba, Skiing, Formal Tux, Bathrobe, Golf and some truly hideous 70’s style suits of which I would love to own in my size. Quite the wardrobe. Bobby’s ready for anything.

Here is the figure I own along with one of the suits.

100_0743

These figures pop up on Ebay every few months. Depending on condition, a loose figure could be had anywhere between $50 – $150. Carded figures are a different story. I’ve seen them sell for as little as $150 and as much as $500. With some searching and patience, I’d say you could get one still carded for $250 – $350. If you want to accessorize with the outfits, they also fluctuate in price between $20 – $50 if still packaged.

Good luck in your search and hope you can add a Bobby Orr dol, er figure, to your collection.

18 Responses to “Orr in Action (Figure)”

1. WOW very nice collections and write up on some very fine pieces.
    I am impressed with the amount of research and detail you put into every piece. Keep up the good work.
    All of these items are also showcased in my website at http://www.bobbyorr.net
    Bobby Orr 4ever.

Ha! Those are some kooky outfits for a Hockey star! Good stuff!

I know. I love those 70’s fashions. I have to try to find some pictures of him wearing that type of clothing in real life. I’m sure they’re out there somewhere.

Thank you! I looked at your site and it’s very impressive. If there’s anything that you’re looking for a picture of and can’t find let me know as I might have it.

5. Gary can you please email me from my site so that I can ask you some questions? Click on Contact Us at the top of every page.

I love the 70s dolls and their outfits. I would be all over those for the kitsch value alone. It is kind of like the Mr. T doll that had other outfits:

Makes you wish you had been in the design meeting when they were discussing the toy. “Yeah, I totally think Bobby Orr would look great in a bathrobe, or what about a scuba suit?… even better, how about both? Do it!”

I totally agree with you on the 70’s dolls and outfits. The Orr figure had some bizarre outfit choices to say the least.

8. Wayne says:

Your 1975 regal doll has no gloves in the package I thought the doll came with gloves.

It does come with gloves. At the time when I wrote this post I only had a loose doll and used this picture from Ebay to show what a doll in the package looks like. Since then I’ve gotten a doll in the package and it has it’s gloves.

10. Darren says:

I recieved the first generation figure for a Christ mas present in 1975,and still have it my sports room!

That’s awesome Darren! Especially since you’ve had it all these years.

12. Sandy Stratton says:

I have been an Orr collector for years and I am just beginning to thin out my collection. I will be selling my mint carded figure from 1975, even the hang hole is unpunched, 7 boxed outfits- most are rough boxes but complete and unused, and a boxed ( I believe this is the box it came in although it does not say Sears on it) Sears catalog Orr figure (the better looking one-not Ken, he is in the carded package). All figures are complete and unused. If interested before I Ebay them, let me know. I also have many other rarer items going up soon. Need some cash for other purposes. Anyone looking for anything in particular?

13. dawn says:

I have the 1988 bobby orr doll still in box not opened. It was my grandmothers now i have it. I was wondering if anybody knows the value of it.

Hi Dawn. It’s not very valuable. I’d say it would sell for around $20 – $25.

15. Barb says:

i have first version of Regal Toy Bobby Orr doll but unfortunately without clothes. Is there any value to doll only. Thanks

Hi Barb, it still has value, but only around $10 or $15.

17. Roy Kukuk says:

Hi, I just picked up a Bobby Orr 2010 action figure in a Oshawa Generals uniform…cant find a thing online, do you know anything about this figure? I think its a Mcfarlane but it has TMP Int’l Inc stamped on the underneath.

Hi Roy. I have never seen that. Could be something that the Generals put out or it was a custom job