Number 27, Bobby Orr! Wait, what?

Bobby Orr number 4! Poetry. Bobby Orr #27! Not so much. Believe it of not, there was a very brief period of time when Orr wore number 27, during his rookie training camp in 1966.

The item I’m going to show this week lists Orr as number 27. If you haven’t already guessed what it is, it’s a program.

img215

I won this from recently from Classic Auctions in Canada. Here is part of the description of it directly as it was listed.

“This rare four-page scorecard is from Bobby Orr’s second ever appearance in Boston as a Bruin, from a pre-season game against the Montreal Canadiens on October 16, 1966. Orr is listed in the program as #27, with veteran Al Langlois, soon to be cut, wearing the number 4 that Mr. Orr would soon make famous. Also included is a ticket from the game (how many of those could have survived!). Imagine – most fans at this game were seeing for the first time on ice perhaps the greatest player in NHL history.”

Pre-season programs from Orr’s rookie season are tough to find. I’m lucky enough to also own another one.

Here’s what the inside of the program looks like.

img216

The left hand side contains the Bruins home and road games for the 1966-67 season.

img217

As you can see, Orr is listed as number 27, which makes this program really special. Also pretty cool to me is that the Bruins were playing their long time rivals and defending Stanley Cup Champions Montreal Canadiens.

Lastly, here is the ticket stub to the game (which the Bruins won incidentally 3 – 0).

img218

Needless to say, I can’t imagine that this program is seen too often. Having the ticket stub to go along with it is just gravy on top as far as I’m concerned. If you ever come across it, expect to shell out a few bucks. While it only cost 15 cents in 1966, I would put a value on it of between $400 – $600. Thankfully, I was able to outbid three others to win this program at a reasonable price less than what I think the value actually is.

That’s my Bobby Orr item for this week. See you again next Sunday with more vintage Orr memorabilia.

18 Responses to “Number 27, Bobby Orr! Wait, what?”

1. theiceman says:

with #2 available (his Oshwa number), I always thought Orr4 was for marketing purposes. Alan Eagleson was a visionary with marketing, but a total dirt bag in the end though.
    Unless when they dumped Langlois did the jersey fit??

Langlois wore #4 during the 1965-66 season, so it makes sense that he had the number during training camp. With #2 retired for Eddie Shore, I’m not sure how they came up with #27 for Orr. I’m sure the switch to #4 was a no-brainer once Langlois was cut.

3. theiceman says:

forgot the number 2 was already retired for Eddie Shore…..any thoughts of what number could be retired down the road?

4. scifinds says:

I bet you would still be willing to pay the $1 to see that game

Wow, having the ticket for that game is pretty awesome! Do you have any other old tickets?

I usually save all my ticket stubs from games. I have nothing as old as that ticket however.

You would win that bet.

I’ve always felt that #12 should be retired for Cashman. Never happen though. As far as current Bruins. it’s way too early to tell, but if I had to wager, than I would say #30 for Thomas and #36 for Bergeron.

9. jeff rogers says:

I have a friend that has an autographed 8×10 Orr picture when he was number 27. Any idea what that would be worth?

Hi Jeff, thanks for the question. The number 27 jersey doesn’t make the autograph any more valuable. Orr auto’s usually will sell for anywhere between $75-$125.

11. jeff rogers says:

Really? I figured because they are so few that they would be worth more. Thanks for the info.

No problem Jeff. Besides his #4 and #27, he also wore #5 in some early all star games because Canadians great Jean Beliveau wore #4.

13. Jamie says:

Thanks for sharing the history of #27 and your impressive collection as it’s all quite interesting. And I agree with you that #4 is much, much preferred! As for myself, I have an original 3.5″ x 5.5″ black & white hockey card of Bobby Orr wearing the #27 jersey. What makes it unique (I think) is that he’s also wearing hockey gloves with the #37 on them. Kinda funny that the Bruins didn’t bother to scrounge up matching gloves for the occasion, but I suppose things like that weren’t so important back then. The hockey card has a photo signature but Bobby did signed it as well for my grandfather, Bucko McDonald, who of course played a key role in his development as a player.

Thanks for the comment Jamie. You must have some interesting Orr stories seeing as how your grandfather coached him. Actually, not just stories about Orr but the early days of the NHL in general considering he was a 3 time stanley cup champion.

15. Joe says:

Great posts.

I came across a photo of an item that depicts Bobby Orr wearing what appears to be a #30 Bruins jersey. Anybody with any inf on that?

16. Alan Hill says:

Hello Gary hope all is well I have a signed stick with Johnny (cheif) Bucyk # 9 and Bobby Orr signed # 27 on a louieville stick ! It was giving to the guys father who I got it from during a practise with his police officer friend being there with their coffees . Kind regards Alan

17. Chris says: