A Special Bobby Orr Jersey

For post #101, I’m going to take all of you back to what was probably one of the first Bobby Orr items I ever had. It isn’t a collectible so to speak, but it does have to do with Orr.

First off, I have to show you this picture.

img003

That’s me in March of 1974 wearing my favorite shirt at the time. As you can guess, it’s a children’s Bobby Orr Jersey. I also happen to be 4 years old when this was taken.

To say I loved this jersey is an understatement. Like all old clothes that you eventually grow out of, it was either thrown out or hopefully donated to Goodwill or someplace similar.

Flash forward 37 years. I’m doing my nightly due diligence on Ebay, checking out newly listed Orr items , when what do I come across? You guessed it.

DSCI0272

This is the¬†same shirt that I’m wearing in the picture (probably not the one I had as a kid). For a total $6.99 plus shipping, this baby is all mine again. This is the front of the shirt. The back is exactly the same as the front. No name, just the big number four.¬†Unfortunately it’s a little too small and I won’t be wearing it anytime soon, but I’m thrilled to have my old Orr shirt back.

I case you were wondering, yes, I did attempt to try it on with disastrous results. It barely fit over the top of my head. Instead I took this picture, standing in the exact same spot in front of the fireplace at my parents house all these years later. Enjoy.

DSCI0275

Still as handsome as ever. ;)

That’s all she wrote for this week. Hope you enjoyed my trip down memory lane. See you all again next week for a look at another Bobby Orr vintage item.

10 Responses to “A Special Bobby Orr Jersey”

1. scifinds says:

I love stuff like this. I particularly love the flash forward picture. Nice one.

I will say I looked to see if your folks still had the same stuff on the mantle but it looks like they don’t.

There are just pictures on the mantle now. Back in ‘74 there was a bowl of fake fruit, candlesticks and two of those cupid like kid statues. Gotta love the ’70’s.

I also love the comparison picture, are you going to get a frame for the little shirt?

4. Kelly says:

This is so great! I’m pretty sure you now need a pair of brown corduroys to recreate the rest of the ensemble. =)

Probably not a frame because I dont have the space for it, but I might replace one of the jerseys that’s hanging on the closet door in the museum room.

I didn’t even think of that. :) Unfortunately, even if I had the pants, there is NO way that the shirt would fit. It probably would tear apart if I tried to put it on. At the very least it would be like I was wearing a half shirt, and nobody wants to see that. ;) Thanks for reading and leaving a comment Kelly!

7. Danny says:

Cool stories Gary
    My Computer crashed a few weeks ago and i just got a new one this week.
    All caught up now.
    I would love to read the story on Trudy in the magazine you had posted.
    What year and day was that published?

Thanks Danny. It’s the April/May 1977 edition. If you want I can scan the article and email it to you. Let me know.

9. Danny says:

Ok Gary that would be great,Thanks

10. Dave says:

I have a pair of Bobby Orr Bally skates, size 4, if you wish to try them on with that uniform. Have the gloves and elbow pads also!!