Trophies are Orr

In past posts, I’ve mentioned that a few of my Orr items I’ve had since I was a kid back in the 70’s. Remarkably, they’re still in pretty good condition. I say this because they are posters. Now I don’t know about you, but I saved just about all my posters from back then and quite a few are in rough shape with tape marks, pin holes and too many creases than I care to talk about.

Anyhow, the two Orr posters that I still have were part of a set of three that you could get through the Bobby Orr Fan Club Gift Catalog, which was featured in a post just last month www.bobbyorrcollector.com/?p=1032.

I thought that this week would be the perfect time to talk about them seeing as how I just recently found the third poster in the set.

First off, let me refresh your memory with this picture.

orr 5

This is from the catalog. As you can see, each poster sold for $2 back then or all three for $5. That’s not the case anymore.

DSCI0183

This is one of the posters I had as a kid. There’s some damage to each corner, but the rest of it is in pretty good shape. Here Orr is posing with the Stanley Cup. In the lower left corner is says “Stanley Cup 1970 and 1972″.

DSCI0182

Here is the third poster which I just picked up.

DSCI0181

This happens to be my favorite, as Orr is posing with all the trophies he has won up until that point in his career. Starting in the back row and going across:

1. Norris Trophy – Best Defenseman
  2. Prince of Wales Trophy
  3. Stanley Cup
  4. Art Ross Trophy – Leading Scorer

Front row:

1. Calder Trophy – Rookie of the Year
  2. Conn Smythe Trophy – Playoff MVP
  3. Hart Trophy – Most Valuable Player in the League

All the posters say on them photo by Dimitri. I have no idea if this was a person or a studio. Each poster measure 22 x 28 and they are printed on thick stock that has sort of a shellac finish to it. My best guess is that the photos were taken sometime during the 1972-73 season. I say this because in the first two posters it looks like Orr is wearing his 1972 Stanley Cup ring which he would have received at the beginning of that season.

Hope you enjoyed this weeks post and that you’ll check back in again next Sunday to see what other Bobby Orr items I have for you.

21 Responses to “Trophies are Orr”

1. Dan says:

Hey Gary i love those posters,
    To this day they are still all tough to find and very pricey.
    I only have the one with all the trophy’s and plan on getting the other 2 some day.
    Dimitri (last name) is the photographer that did all the Fan Club photos for Bobby Orr.
    I wish i can by all 3 for $5 like it was in the fan club gift catalog.

It would be nice to be able to get all three for $5. Unfortunately, you probably have to add a couple of zeroes on the end now if you’re lucky enough to track them down. Well, maybe not that much, but close to it.

3. the other sasquatch says:

hey, that 3rd poster is nice – should definitely make room and hang that in the place – that one would be worth an autograph

4. scifinds says:

Fine, if you won’t take $5 for the three how about $6? That is the $2 per, plus the extra dollar for your trouble.

Think about it, you know it makes sense.

5. iceman says:

of all Orr posters, these were the highest quality. The paper used was a thick photo stock, this caused easier creasing of the posters though. I like the Neilson Candy poster series the best of all Orr posters. (I hope Mrs. Dimitri isnt reading this blog)

If I can ever get him over here I’d have it signed.

Tempting…….

I agree with you about the Neilson’s. While I like the Dimitri posters (I had a good laugh about the Mrs. Dimitri comment) they are just too similar. At some point I will have to feature the Neilson’s.

Eh, if you get the first photo matted and framed you’d never notice the corner damage.

Did Orr get to keep all of those trophies (well not the Stanley obviously) or were they his until presented to another winner (is that how that stuff works?)? Because I think he’d have to have a whole wing of his home dedicated to trophies if they’re all that big!

There’s one main trophy for each award. The winner gets presented it at the awards banquet, but then they go right back to the Hockey Hall of Fame. The NHL makes a replica for each winner and that’s what the player actually gets to take home with him. From what I’m told by someone who has actually seen Orr’s trophy room it’s pretty impressive.

11. Dan D says:

If anyone is interested i have the last pict in a sealed frame?

12. cabral says:

I have the – “The second one I had is actually in great shape. Here Orr is posing with not only the Stanley Cup, but the Prince of Wales Trophy which the Bruins won in 1972 for finishing in first place in the Eastern Division during the regular season.”

Its in good shape with a few stains with age, but framed and okay shape for almost 40 years old? My father is a huge fan and watched every game before I was born, in ‘74. From Fall River, MA. just one hour from the garden. I am looking to sell it to someone who would really enjoy it and pass it on as an heirloom.

You have my email, cabral74@hotmail.com, and let me know if you have a buyer? Leave Bobby Orr in the subject line. Thanks.
    Cabral

Thanks for reading and the comment! I will send you an email about the poster.

14. Beverly says:

I have the poster, that is signed with all of is trophies. I love the picture, but don’t know if it should be appraised for insurance purpose’s. I don’t know where to go I also have a signing jersey as well. Any suggestions would be helpfull and love your website, I was able to meet him, wonderful down to earth man

Hi Beverly,
    Thanks for reading and the kind words! The signed poster would probably be worth between $150 – $250. The jersey between $200 – $350. Your best bet would be to take them to a sports memorabilia store and have them look at both items. Not sure where you live, but you could try either Sportsworld or Slapshot Sports Cards. They are both on Route 1 in Saugus. Thanks again!

16. Deb says:

Been a few years since the last post to this site. I have the 1st poster in fairly good condition. It’s not torn but it has some discoloration from either age or storage. My dad never got around to framing it for preservation. Would anyone know how much it would be worth with the imperfection?
    Happy to have come across your web site. Bobby Orr was very popular when I was growing up.
    Thanks

Hi Deb. If the discoloration is around the edges of the poster and doesn’t affect the main image then I’d say it’s worth between $25 to $75. I’ve seen really nice ones sell for as much as $150.

18. Mark Bresson says:

Hello Gary. I met Bobby while working for the Whalers in 1989 I think it was. I felt lucky — plus, he was very nice. Gordie Howe also. Great guy. The day we had a press conference for Bobby Holik coming into US w/Howard Baldwin, Bobby was “employed” by Whalers & was at the press conference.
    The 2 Cup photos w/Bobby — I’m looking for a close up of 1930-31 Canadiens ’square’ which, I think, is on there. Do you have any suggestions on how I can find either a poster or that “square” close-up?
    Thanks,
    Mark

Hi Mark,

I tried looking for a photo but couldn’t find anything. Your best bet might be to contact the hockey hall of fame directly, specifically the resource center. There number is (416) 251-5770. They might be able to help you. Good luck

20. mike says:

Hi. I have the bobby orr poster with all the trophies attached to an advertisement to buy the poster.Even better.Check it out.

21. Rob says:

Someone has Poster #2 in your list (Stanley Cup and Wales Trophy) for sale on craigslist near Boston, MA. He has several left all in excellent condition. If you go to craigslist boston and type bobby orr in the search it will come up.